4.26.2009

What Do Teachers Make?

Thanks to Dan Greene for pointing out the original version by slam poet Taylor Mali (Contains profanity)

This is nothing new to the teaching community but is something I would like to post so I know I'll never lost it.

A Tribute to All Teachers

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man decided to explain the problem with education. He argued: "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other dinner guests that it's true what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

To corroborate, he said to another guest: "You're a teacher, Susan," he said. "Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation of honesty and frankness, replied, "You want to know what I make?"

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I can make a C+ feel like a medal of honour and an A- feel like a slap in the face if the student did not do his or her very best.

You want to know what I make?

I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them write.

I make them show all their work in math and hide it all on their drafts in English.

I elevate them to experience music and art and the joy in performance, so their lives are rich, full of kindness and culture, and they take pride in themselves and their accomplishments.

I make them understand that if you have the brains, then follow your heart ... and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you pay them no attention.

You want to know what I make?

I make a difference."

COPYRIGHT 2003 Catholic New Times, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning

Boo-yah!

1 comment:

  1. Check out the original version by slam poet Taylor Mali:

    http://www.taylormali.com/index.cfm?webid=13

    ReplyDelete