3.02.2014

Why Do I Blog: Then vs. Now

In response to Dan Meyer's post...

I started blogging five years ago.

The main reason I started was because I was a substitute teacher. That means nothing to plan or create on nights or weekends. Exposure to a variety of teachers, classrooms, and students. And a lot of time to spend on the computer.

I started searching and found this little community of teachers who taught math and liked to talk about. I basically blogged so I could be a cool kid too.

I had no idea what to write about and did a lot of embarrassing, cliche blogger things.

As I started teaching it became more a cry for help when I realized I had NO IDEA what the heck I was doing.

Then it turned it into venting and ranting when I realized just how terrible I was at this thing.

Next it became an outlet for me to share my creations...once I finally felt like I could do some things right.

Currently, I would say it has faded away as one of my priorities and has now become more of a place of reflection and sharing things every once in a while.

When I do read blogs I kind of miss being more involved but then when I'm laying in bed watching netflix, it seems like so much work to even turn the computer on.

So there's that.

A lot of change in the past five years.

What will the next five years of my blog life bring?


2 comments:

  1. My first 2yrs of teaching, I taught 7th grade math out of Saxon, which is very scripted. Then I was home for 8yrs before returning to work as an inclusion and resource teacher for 5yrs. Now I'm teaching pre-AP Algebra 1 and Geometry to classes of 28+ students. Though I am a veteran teacher, everything seems new to me this year and is often overwhelming. I have begun to rely a great deal on what I learn from blogs, and I find yours extremely helpful. I read your blog frequently, often going back and reviewing your past posts on planning and lessons. I want you to know that, whatever the reason you choose to come back here from time to time and blog, your readership is grateful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,

      Thanks so much for such meaningful words! I appreciate that you took the time to think about me and write this comment.

      Now I feel like I want to post a million things but the truth is, I haven't created much this year and that makes me feel like I don't have much to say.

      I will try to post more regularly because I know what it is like to be overwhelmed!

      Delete