5.22.2016

#MTBoS30: Why I Don't Quit {A Letter of Non-Resignation}

  

  • This is my dream. I don't know what the expiration date is on dreams but I'm pretty sure it's not seven years.
  • I do everything in a spirit of excellence. I am not compatible with quitting.
  • I did not go through college and thousands of dollars to give up because it's hard. Ask any pregnant lady, growing humans is not an easy task. 
  • Mediocrity is not an option for me! I believe in a job well done and lucky for me I get a new chance at that 180 days a year.
  • There's always more to learn. Quitting is for when there are no options. I can't quit when I keep learning new ways to be better.
  • Who would take my place? Quitting doesn't mean my job would disappear. It means someone else would take my place and how do I know that someone would be as good as or better than me? I can't put my students in jeopardy.
  • I want to know that each of my students has at least one adult pushing for them to win.
  • I am a woman of my word. I follow through. I didn't accept this job on the conditions of "only when I feel like it", "only when things go my way", or "only when I feel valued". I agreed to do this job 180 days a year regardless of circumstance.
  • The system might be broken but so are the kids. So are we. I want to be a safe place, a home away from home, a friendly face, a place to let your guard down, a place to find your peace, a place to feel included, a place to enjoy yourself and your day. Quitting is the opposite of fixing.
  • I can't fix the system but I can fix how my students experience the system.
  • Teaching is my God given gift. It won't go away.  I honor that gift by using it-  which gives my students the permission to use theirs.
  • How can I teach my students to persevere if i will not? How can I expect my students to make a difference if I will not?
  • I'm from here. This is my high school. My town. My people. My students deserve a better education than what I had. 
I don't quit. I'm working to fix the system. Why not me?

No comments:

Post a Comment